If you have walked down the streets of Cairo, you may have noticed that virtually everyone has a cell phone. It is certainly the easiest and fastest way to get in touch both locally and internationally. Most cellular service is prepaid, but service accounts can be set up. Packages prices vary with each provider.
Egypt has three main service providers for wireless service. They are:
Vodafone Phone: 02- 2529-2888 or visit www.vodafone.com.eg
Mobinil Phone 20 2 2574-7000 or visit www.mobinil.com
Etisalat Phone: 02 3534 6333 or visit www.etisalat.com.eg
If you must have a dedicated landline, telephone installation can be completed in about a week to a month. But 90% of villas and flats should be rented with established phone lines. These lines may or may not be international lines. Usually Landlords do not like to give an international line because the last bill arrives after the tenant has departed.
If your flat is without an international line, you have a few options available to you.
- You may subscribe to one of several business service companies that will link you to international lines via their offices.
- If your company has an international line, you can request that an extension of that line be placed in your home.
- Another option is to ask you landlord to have an international line installed (which may be at lengthy and expensive process). See below the Procedure.
How to get a new line or additional lines?
- Complete a Telephone Subscription form and submit it with a copy of identification and L.E 56 administration fee. Collect your numbered receipt.
- Complete the contractual procedure within 30 days (otherwise you may need to reapply). Provide proof of residential line or tax card, identification document. To complete the process smoothly, please ensure you bring official documents detailing the address where you want the telephone to be installed (the property contract, utility bills, electricity, gas, or water receipt).
Cost should run about L.E.700 (administration + connection fees) for a home line.
Lines: Local, National & International
Local and National Tariff
* For residential telephone:
Monthly subscription : 5 L.E.
Free calls are equal to : 10 L.E.
* For Business telephone:
Monthly subscription : 20 L.E.
First minute : 5 P.T.
Every other minute : 3 P.T.
Mobile per minute : 30 P.T.
How and when to pay bills
The following site http://www.telecomegypt.com.eg/ permits you to consult you telephone account number. The site has an English version and is easy to access. By typing your telephone number, you will have on-line your bill for 3 months and you can pay via credit card. Another way to pay your bill is to go to a telephone central of your area, give them your number and pay it at the cashier. If you do not have the strength to queue your self, you can send your driver, bawab or anybody your trust.